According to research done by various groups and a multitude of victim forums, fraud is now the prevalent crime in the US. There are appropriate laws on the books, but if they're not enforced, crooks are encouraged to continue.
Given the sorry status quo, victims who are frequently shamed and defeated into silence must stand up for themselves and make their voices heard. Like with OWS, if media does not report it, the perception is - it does not exist. How do you get attention? Old tried and true tactics have their role, but take years to accomplish little. OWS did raise awareness of issues and brought them into the limelight. Successful PETA campaigns may be shocking to some, but that is exactly how they get their message across. Russian group Pussy Riot made a splash all over the world with its unique protest.
So how about a Victims' Riot? Most victims suffer in silence. Others are too stuck on self-defeating individualistic mentality and think no one will help. How about helping each other? Strength in numbers means everything: today I help you, tomorrow you help me. Results can be achieved for everyone or no one. Want YOUR money back? Join ranks and fight for EVERYONE. Here are some tried and true tactics as well as new ideas for actions:
- Get in the face of fraudsters, prevent their “business as usual” by contacting their clients, lenders, shareholders, investors – everyone who is involved with their business one way or another and let them know what the scammers are up to
- Make and publicize a list of fraudulent companies and individuals, list their names, contacts, locations and expose their fraud
- Demonstrate in front of their offices
- Demonstrate and distribute flyers at key events for the scammers’ business
- Post all this info on financial forums to warn investors and strangle their money supply
- Attend shareholder meetings if possible or demonstrate if not
- Pool resources and advertise the list of fraudsters in media
- Contact media for coverage of demonstrations and other actions
- Use public access media to create shows exposing fraud and lack of prosecutions
- Organize email campaigns to let politicians know that fraud ultimately results in taxpayer bailouts in the form of welfare and other government assistance to the victims not to mention health expenditures to treat fraud casualties
- Your ideas here
The more adventurous demonstrators willing to don masks to represent faceless victims and symbolize that anyone can become one, will attract more attention, but it will also give privacy to those not happy with personal exposure. In any case, the more victims come forward, the more chances for success.